Skip to main content

Clean To Eat or Unclean?

Recently, a well-known person spoke on television of his personal distain for pork – giving justification for his decision to not eat it by describing the unclean habits pigs are characterized by; “They will eat anything, they are scavengers; what they eat is digested in only forty minutes leaving many harmful toxins in their meat,” etc.  What he said is all true – check it out for yourself, just Google the facts. Do you eat pork chops? Ham, bacon, and sausage? A lot of people do. I must confess, I enjoy eating this other white meat. Is it good for you and me? Hmm…I can’t really say; I’m no medical expert or dietician.

In the Old Testament, many foods were considered to be unclean and the people were commanded to not eat them. The Pharisees of that time strictly upheld these laws. In the New Testament, Jesus was quizzed by some Pharisees (Mark 7:1-20) about why His disciples didn’t live according to the traditions of the elders instead of eating with “unclean hands.” He replied, “Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you hypocrites as it is written:

‘These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. They worship me in vain; their teachings are but rules taught by men.’”

Later, after leaving the crowd, His disciples asked Jesus about; "clean-unclean." Jesus said to them: “Don’t you see that nothing that enters a man from the outside can make him ‘unclean’?” He went on to say it is what comes out of a man that makes him unclean.

Okay, so do we eat pork or not? It should be a personal decision I guess. Certainly, all that is known about the ‘unclean’ habits of pigs is enough to turn a person away from this meat choice. Some (experts) say, as long as the meat is properly handled, stored, and cooked it is safe to eat. It’s your call! I’ll probably still have some bacon every once in a while, and I’ll probably have a second, or third helping of that delicious, spiral-cut ham at Thanksgiving. 

However, I’ll refrain from wishing you “bon-appetite!” You be the judge whether it's clean or unclean to eat.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walk Of Faith

I wonder, do you think we miss God’s purpose for our lives because we are waiting to learn more of what God has planned for us? Truth is; God isn’t required to lay it all out for us. All He must do if He has a plan for our lives is to show us how and then enable us to do it. It seems when we don’t know all the particulars, life is too perplexing. We think, “ but I need to know just what God wants me to do.” Abram (later known as Abraham) probably had thoughts just like this. God asked Abram to go somewhere he wasn’t familiar with and he most likely thought of asking God, Lord, must I go somewhere I don’t know, can’t I just stay here in Haran? However, God’s plan for Abram was far greater than anything Abram could ever imagine. Our personal feelings, vision, and human reasoning will always get in the way of our walk of faith . God teaches us to have faith in Him by placing us in positions where our feelings, vision, and common knowledge don’t work for us. Haven’t you ex...

Get Out Of Your Boat

In (Matthew 14:25) Jesus had told the disciples to get into the boat and go on ahead of Him to the other side of the lake. The Bible says; He went up on a mountainside by Himself to pray. The wind was strong that night and the waves buffeted the small boat, tossing it to and fro. It would have been a frightening time to be out on the water; especially that late at night. The men in the boat trembled with fear, and when they saw Jesus walking out to them on the water they thought He was a ghost. Jesus assured them it was He and they should not be afraid. Peter, one of the disciples, said, “Lord, if it’s You, tell me to come to You on the water!” Jesus told him, “Come.” Peter stepped out of the boat, walked toward Jesus, but when he saw the wind; the Bible says, he was afraid, and beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!” Peter’s faith was strong, at first. He was walking on the top of the waves just as Jesus was, but the moment he allowed himself to think rationally instead of t...

THIS IS A SPECIAL POSTING. PLEASE READ!

In addition to my daily message today, this is something very special I believe the Lord wants me to post right now! Help Me Overcome My Unbelief! As a Christian, I believe God loves me and wants the best for me. Certainly, in His Word (Psalm 103:3 NIV) the Psalmist wrote; Praise the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all His benefits – who forgives all your (my) sins and heals all your (my) diseases, who redeems your (my) life from the pit…. I know this, really I do! Still, there are times when I don’t see God actually doing what I expect Him to do; to save me from my trouble; to provide me with what I want; and to provide the healing release I expect. Before I became a Christian I really had a problem with faith, much less be able to cling to any promises God made to me; regardless of whether I was a Christian or not! Therefore, I understand how we can have moments of unbelief, or we can just flat out not trust what God has promised us. This is Satan at work, big time !  “Get...