Skip to main content

Listening To God


God speaks to us in many ways. Sometimes He communicates with us in an audible voice, or His voice may be heard in a spiritual manner, as an inner-voice, a significant thought. Sometimes we hear from Him in a single word, or several that just seem to come to us from out of no where.

A while back, I attended a men’s Christian encampment, there were many men there whom I did not know. For some reason,  one of the participants seemed to stand out from all the others. I could feel the Lord was telling me to pay special attention to this particular man, and I felt led to pray for him. I did, and I asked God to show me why He wanted me to pray for this stranger. Suddenly, three words came to my mind; spirit of fear. I had no idea why I was associating those three words with this man.

Later, as part of the program, we were all given an opportunity to pray aloud for something we wanted God to take away from us; an unpleasant memory, a past un-confessed sin, or whatever was keeping us from living as God intended. With all heads bowed in silient reverence, the man spoke out asking God to help him quit his smoking habit, and to take away his “spirit of fear.”  Coincidence? I don’t think so! I am convinced God was pointing this man out to me, and asking me to pray for what the man needed. I asked God to show me how to pray for this individual, and He did!

Nothing is more important, more necessay, or more rewarding than hearing God speak to us. However, to have a real conversation with God requires us to faithfully seek Him in prayer, then to be patient and listen. “Listening” can be difficult. I can get so busy at times, doing-for- God, I neglect to stop long enough to listen to what God may be telling me to do. I have to remind myself of this a lot. I only want to do what God wants me to do for Him, not what I want to do for Him.

(Deuteronomy 30:20) instructs us that we are to “…listen to His voice, and hold fast to Him. For the LORD is you life.” And, in (Hebrews 1:1-2) God assures us He speaks to us today; “In the past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these days He has spoken to us by His Son.”  His speaking to us is always to benefit us – we are to listen and follow His voice obediently so that we may enjoy life as He intended. I am thankful He also calls us to serve Him in ways that are beneficial to our families, our friends, and even to a complete stranger!

So, stop, look, and listen for God’s voice. He wants to communicate with YOU.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Dead Battery

Last year, around the end of summer, our power-mower gave up the ghost. It was getting harder and harder to start every time I wanted to use it. So, I finally gave in to buying a new one. Bless her heart, my wife Sally told me if she didn’t have to pull that difficult, old starter-cord every time she wouldn’t mind helping me mow every once in a while. She even said it might be good exercise for her. This extra help with the yard work would be welcomed I thought. I went online checking out the outrageous prices of new lawnmowers; it had been four or five years since I bought our last one. Most of the retailers; Lowes, Home Depot,  WalMart and Sears were priced about the same, still way too much for me, but if I was going to get something Sally could start easily it would have to be one of the new key-start models where she didn’t have to pull a cord, she could just turn the key, like her car, and it would start right up. I bought one of these new models.They are great! Last week, an

Go In Peace

The following prayer was prayed by the apostle Paul for the Ephesian people, it is from the Book of Ephesians; and as written by Paul. In this prayer, Paul was blessing the people with more than just good health or prosperity. He was praying for them that God with all His power would increase the indwelling of His Holy Spirit in the Ephesians. He was asking God to confirm in their inner being that out of His love for them Christ would be with them forever. Paul, himself had a tremendous feeling of love for the Ephesians, because he was bestowing upon them some of the most powerful, loving considerations someone could pray for others. This is one of my most favorite Scriptures. Today, the apostle Paul remains our good teacher in Christ. This morning, I am following Paul’s example, praying this model of his prayer for you . Why? Because as I love Jesus, and want to follow His teachings; I am aware that He loves you and wants to bless you. So now, I also pray His blessings upon you.

We Rob God

Were God a greedy God He would expect ninety percent of our earnings leaving us the remaining ten to support our needs, He doesn’t though. Instead, He asks exactly the opposite of our potential, one tenth, a tithe. Have we excluded God out of our plans? Sure we have! Do we continue to exclude Him from what we want to believe is rightfully our world, our government, our lives? We not only exclude Him, we deny Him of what is rightfully His from the very beginning. Even worse, as a nation, a world, a people we deny He exist! We have declared He has no place in our government, our public buildings, and our schools. Pity us, it is no wonder we are under a curse as a nation with so much turmoil in our lives – we are robbing God. This is not a sermon, but wait, yes, it is! We are truly guilty of “me-ism.” We have become a world of “what about me?” Our insatiable greed has consumed us, so we have no choice but to continue feeding our monster, because it’s demanding more and more. Nothing is